A coil tattoo machine is made up of multiple components that work together to create tattoo action. The following are the main components of a coil tattoo machine:
- Frame: The frame is the main structure of the tattoo machine, usually made of stainless steel or other durable materials. It provides the foundation for all other components.
- Coil: The coil is an electromagnet mounted on the frame. They are usually made of copper wire wound around an iron core. When energized, the coil creates a magnetic field that moves the armature bar up and down.
- Armature bar: The armature bar is the metal strip that connects the front and rear springs. It acts as the driving force for the needle and moves up and down rapidly when the coil is activated.
- Spring: There are two springs on the coil tattoo machine: front spring and back spring. These springs help control the movement of the armature bar by providing tension and stability.
- Contact screw: The contact screw is a threaded metal rod that adjusts the distance between the front and rear springs. By adjusting the contact screw, the stroke length and speed of the needle can be controlled.
- Capacitor: The capacitor acts as a stabilizer of the power supply, helping to prevent voltage fluctuations and ensuring a steady flow of current to the coil.
- Adhesive: The adhesive is the small rubber or plastic piece that securely holds the coil to the frame.
- Tube vise: The tube vise is where the clamp and needle are attached. It holds them in place and can be easily adjusted or removed.
- Grip: The grip is the handle that the tattoo artist holds when tattooing. It’s usually made of stainless steel or another material that’s comfortable and provides stability and control.
- Needle tube: The needle tube is a hollow tube that holds the needle. It attaches to the handle and guides the needle during the tattooing process.
- Needle: The needle is the part that penetrates the skin and deposits ink. It is made of stainless steel and comes in a variety of configurations depending on the desired tattoo effect.
- Rubber band: The rubber band is used to provide tension and hold the needle to the armature rod. They help control the depth and speed of the tattooing process.
Setting up a coil tattoo machine involves several steps. Here are general guidelines to help you get started:
1.Gather the necessary equipment
- Coil tattoo machine (frame, coil, armature bar, front and rear springs)
- Grip and needle
- power supply
- rubber bands
- Disposable tips (optional)
2.Prepare the machine
- Remove the handle and needle to disassemble the machine.
- Clean all parts including frame, coils and armature bars with a sanitizing solution.
- Make sure all parts are properly aligned and free of any debris.
- Fit the required needles to the needle bar on the armature rod.
- Make sure the needle is held securely with a rubber band or O-ring.
4.Set up the clamp and cannula
- Insert the needle into the cannula so that a small portion of the needle tip is exposed.
- Slide the syringe into the handle until it is securely in place.
5.Connect the power supply
- Connect the clip wire to the tattoo machine.
- Plug the other end of the clip wire into the corresponding port on the power supply.
6.Adjust machine settings
- Set the mains voltage to the desired level, keeping in mind the recommended voltage range for the type of tattoo you will be doing.
- Adjust the tension of the armature bar by loosening or tightening the screw.
- Place a rubber band over the front of the machine and over the top of the needle.
- Turn on the power and depress the foot pedal to start the machine.
- Observe the movement of the armature bar and needle; it should move smoothly and evenly.
- If the machine is not working properly, please troubleshoot by checking the connection or adjusting the tension.
8.Sterilize and prepare the tattoo
- Ensure that all equipment, including needles, handles, syringes and disposable needles (if used) are sterile.
- Assemble the tattoo machine with handle, needle tube and needle.
- Set up workstations and organize ink colors with clean disposable barriers.
For tattoo beginners, choosing a coil tattoo machine is very cost-effective. However, the setup process of the plate rolling machine also hinders many beginners from choosing. Hopefully our general guide will help you get over the hurdle; this is a general guide for setting up a coil tattoo machine, and it is also important to follow the specific instructions provided by the coil tattoo machine manufacturer. Also, make sure you are properly trained and understand and follow all safety and hygiene protocols when getting a tattoo.（Consult us for more questions about tattoo equipment）